Winter Magic

It's school holidays. Three long weeks of school holidays in winter. If there are any people from the Northern Hemisphere out there who care to share their ideas for entertaining children on dark wet days, I'd love to hear from you!

I didn't go into the holidays with a massive itinerary - other than booking them in to a school holiday club for the first week, and buying three paint your own plaster money boxes ($5 each from Aldi). The kids had painted their money boxes by 10am on the first Saturday after school broke up. Great.


So this week we've attended the holiday club and it has been fabulous. Wonderful creative and dedicated leaders with a superb program for the kids that captured their imagination while sharing a strong message of  Jesus' love for them. And, there was a parents cafe - with proper cappucinos and muffins and slices served to us while we listened to a parenting talk each day. One on the joys of reading, one on connecting with your children, one on the busyness of life... I came away feeling totally nurtured and uplifted.

I met some lovely people, had some meaningful conversations and learnt some great things. I even heard myself telling one person that this week had been a highlight of my parenting year. Really!

Here is the link to the talks if you'd like to check them out:
http://www.christchurch.org.au/sermons/general

So now we are staring down the barrel of week two. We've been to the library and borrowed 22 books. We've arranged a play date mid week and even have the possibility of attending another kids club for two days. I gave the kids the option of buying a movie (criteria: cheap but educational, ha ha) to watch or choosing a ball from the sports shop - they all chose a ball! Now we're just hoping for some fine weather...as big balls inside (near my growing glass cloche collection) aren't a great fit.

And I've even found a few minutes to curl up on the lounge with the first Harry Potter. The last time I read them was when Jesse, now nine, was a baby. A bit of winter magic..

Comments

Popular Posts