Wardrobe Malfunctions

The Duchess of Cambridge leaving the children's centre today

STOP PRESS!! Kate Middleton wears her blouse backwards - and still looks absolutely stunning!!

Sadly, I'm not sure the same can be said for me when I have, countless times over the past few years (not coincidentally starting with parenthood) worn my clothes back the front, inside out and upside-down (yes, it can be done!).

The latest instance, that I am aware of (and let's face it, there could have been plenty more since then) was in January, when returning from a truly relaxing Christmas break. I was wearing a top I love. Pink with embroidery by Johnny Was. After driving towards home for about an hour we stopped at the gorgeous south coast town of Berry for a pit stop and coffee. Having been up since 6 am to pack the car and get on the road, I needed that coffee. However, because I am an awesome multi-tasker, I diverted from the footpath leading to my favorite cafe, and ducked in to a cute crafty store that I try never to miss (despite loud protestations from ALL of my children). I had just stepped inside the door when the lady behind the counter swooped (yes, as in magpie) to my side at the speed of light. I had just a moment to think, surely she doesn't recognize me from the last time I was here a year ago - before she said, "That's a lovely top you have on!"

I looked down and almost smiled at this fellow fashion lover before spying the dribble of red berry fresh juice I had been consuming in the car, spilled artfully down my front.
"Oh, I've spilt juice on it," I grimaced, feeling my face going red.
"Never mind that," she said, not skipping a beat. "But it is on inside out. So why don't you wiz into our change room and fix it up?" She added, already guiding me through the shop and to the back.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Wow. How old am I again? It's amazing that no matter how old I seem to get I can totally tap in to my six year old self, and the baffled shame of trying to appear more grown up than I am.

Needless to say I thanked this motherly figure profusely (my own mother would probably just have burst out laughing) and bought several things I didn't need in that shop as my way of saying thanks.

But wardrobe malfunctions.... We all have them. Even Princess Kate.

Comments

Popular Posts