Books: Objects of Beauty

Oh dear, I have so many draft posts on my posting page it is just not funny. Alas, 'multi-tasking' has become like a swear word to me. It reminds me of all the things I'd like to do (like posting on this blog) and need to do (like cleaning the shower) but never in the busy flurry of life/jobs/schools/sport quite get around to doing any more... Fortunately I mostly still manage to:
a) feed the kids, and
b) collect books.

I got so excited about some of my latest bookish finds that I told the kids there was no dinner tonight, and sat down to post this instead.

LOL. Only joking (kind of).

So according to this article in the Guardian, the Kindle is fast becoming obsolete. Cue mad Bertha Rochester laughing by real book lovers everywhere (it can't just be me, surely?!!) Their clunky and decidedly un-hip technology it turns out, doesn't provide readers with the same memorable and enjoyable sensory experience of reading an actual physical book. It seems that turning real pages is actually an integral part of the process of reading. Who knew?! And what's more, recall and memory are inextricably linked to viewing the printed word on the printed page (please note this schools!!  - but that's another post I hope to get to, one day).


Screen grabs just don't cut it.

And joy oh joy, books have been revitalised as a result! New editions are appearing so often that for some of us book hoarders collectors, valuable bookshelf space is now having to be devoted to not just multiple books, but to multiple copies and editions of the SAME book! It's a disastrously delicious dilemma to have! (Warning: It can also lead to lots of anguished conversations with one's husband as to 'How much money would it take to build on a library to the house anyway?' and 'What do you mean we have enough books already?!!!!??').

Here are some of the spectacularly wonderful (yes superlatives abound) additions to my shelves:



  


And the Penguin Soft Cloth editions are a fine addition to any bookshelf. I've even managed to find a few in op shops #doublebliss


These leather bound editions make the perfect gift for a friend. Did I mention it's my birthday this week? Gosh, there's a coincidence.



And now Bloomsbury Publishing have announced the June 26 release of 'House Editions' to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of publishing Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The wizarding and muggle world are ecstatically agog with anticipation. #harrypotter20
There will be unique covers for both the hardbacks and paperbacks.
A marketing bonanza if ever there was one.
Gulp.
I may have to break in to Gringotts to afford all of these....



"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"

Albus Dumbledore in 'Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets' J.K. Rowling.



I choose real books. 
How about you?

Comments

Popular Posts