The Upsides of a Wearying Week

We've spent a week at home with an unwelcome guest: the vomiting bug. Steadily one after the other, we've all succumbed, culminating in a night mid-week where all three older children woke up sick and continued that way until morning. Luckily my dose was earlier in the week and I recovered pretty quickly as days of peaceful recuperation aren't really an option at this stage of life.

Upsides: I've enjoyed cooking big batches of chicken broth. I've tried a few versions, and my favourite has been asian-style flavoured with fresh ginger. Added noodles and pasta have been welcome when sensitive stomachs can handle it. I took my start-up recipe from one of my favourite recipe books "Apples for Jam" by Tessa Kiros - I've raved about this book before. It is so family friendly and beautifully produced, Kiros shares her own family history and I enjoy reading about her recipes as much as I do making them.
Secondly, I've taken a few moments this week, between disinfecting and seemingly endless washing and drying to peruse "The Gentle Art of Domesticity" by Jane Brocket (Her Blog: http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/). A friend recommended it to me, and I was able to source a ridiculously cheap second hand copy through Abe Books (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/). Published in 2008 it celebrates the gentle domestic arts of knitting, crochet, baking, stitching, quilting, gardening and homemaking. Most of these 'arts' are far beyond my limited powers, but that doesn't mean I don't like reading about them! Brocket states in her intro, and I read with some relief that her book is "emphatically not about the repetitive, endless rounds of cleaning, washing, ironing, shopping and house maintenance that come with domestication. Domesticity rises above the bossiness of cleaning products and media exhortations to keep our houses pristine and hygenic, and focuses instead on creativity within the domestic space." (pg 8, The Gentle Art of Domesticity) I must say it will be nice to focus on some creative things around the house again when everyone is well - as this week has majored far more on the necessary practical elements of servicing the sick, and my Florence Nightingale skills/character (neither of which I could justifiably 'own') have been sorely tested.
However another upside has been the chance to be together with the sun shining outside (yes the rain has stopped!), to play the odd game of chinese checkers, and to snuggle under comfy quilts and watch some old favourites on television (videos people, yes really - are we the only ones left using this OLD technology?? I often pick them up for less than a dollar in op shops). All providing welcome distractions while we wait to get better.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you've all be sick. I'm glad you had the sun to see you through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous that you picked up Jane Brocket's book so cheaply!! I love that book and have borrowed it many times from the Library... She has been an inspiration to me...only if for all her glorious photos and all the colours she loves. One day I will master the art of gentle domesticity!! Live in hope. RG x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts