The Cowardly Lion


courage

kur-ij, kuhr- ]

noun
the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.


I’ve been thinking about courage and what it takes to stand up for what you believe in. The women of Iran are taking a stand in a country where their lives are not protected by the Government, or by the Police or often even by their own families or neighbours. 

But they have had enough of living under such a crushing regime: where their lives hold such little value. They have decided that freedom and liberty is worth standing up for, even if there’s a good chance they might be punished or killed. 

What a heart-breaking choice. Not one I’m sure I could make. I’d like to think I could. But I just don’t know. I hope I never have to find out.. 

Courage, shown in big or small ways, is a character trait we all like to think we have. But are secretly glad if we never have to be put to the test. We hope the time won’t come when we might have to stand up or stand out from the crowd. I could probably be brave if everyone else is being brave too.. But where’s the courage in that? Surely being brave is when you’re the only one standing up or out? 

Social media is an environment where courage takes many forms. People use it, like in the posts I’ve pasted here, to recognise people who have been brave in ways we can all admire. However, it is much easier to like a post about someone else showing courage than to show it yourself. 

I saw someone in the street last week who I know has been through a terrible ordeal. Sacked from their job and widely vilified, their life has been turned upside down. My view, and that of others, has been that this person has been extremely unfairly treated. That they did not deserve the terrible consequences and outcome that ensued. And yet there I was parked on the street and this person was standing on the pavement directly in front of me. I agonised about getting out. What would I say to them? What if I didn’t know all the facts? (I don’t obviously. How could I?) In the end I drove off. Missing the chance to say something kind. It wouldn’t have cost me much, but I didn’t do it. I was faced with my own cowardice and it did not feel good.

Another instance. Someone posts on social media about an author who has suffered from cancel culture. (It’s JK Rowling in case you were wondering - I wasn’t going to name her as that might detract from the argument - but seemed cowardly not to either). The author has been mercilessly vilified in the press and around the world for some comments she made: people now boycott her books, which have nothing to do with the issue. The post asks if anyone feels differently? Does anyone support this author despite the widely vocalised belief that she should be hated and ignored for evermore? 

I write a response, eloquently (in my view) defending this author’s right to free speech. Questioning why the haters are allowed to dictate peoples personal opinions or why censorship is not okay mostly but okay here.. But when it comes time to post my reply I can’t do it. The thought of the haters turning in on me is kind of terrifying. I don’t want to feel personally threatened or worried about what others might think.

Lucky I’m not in Iran I guess. 

Brother Andrew died this week. He was a man who displayed amazing courage and trusted in God for many years as he smuggled Bibles into communist countries. I read his story as a girl (remember when Christian comics were a thing?) and it felt shocking to me then, as it still is now, that someone could put their life on the line for what they believe in. Not just once, but many many times. It is an amazing story and I encourage you to read it. 

I think I’ll read it again myself, along with a prayer that God might grant me the courage to take a stand when it matters. And to be brave enough to do that even at personal cost. 





Comments

Popular Posts