Thrifting finds aplenty

 One of my last remaining uses for Facebook is to see what other oppers (opshop devotees for those who need to know) have thrifted. It’s endlessly fascinating the treasures people find and want to post about. In the current ‘cost of living crisis’ where discretionary spending is evaporating as quickly as sand through the hourglass… being able to pick up a treasure for a couple of dollars can be equivalent to a lotto winning frenzy (not that I’d know, just saying). Sometimes it’s something you need, other times it’s something you’ve always wanted but never found..sometimes you didn’t know you needed it until you saw it and grabbed it before you could say SOLD!

So this post is a photo dump of some recent said items that you too might enjoy as a fellow thrifter.. and look I’m saving you from time wasting on FB. You’re welcome. 


A giant Harry Potter for the Library! $20 (sitting on a chair I found on a kerbside collection btw)


Villeroy and Boch Naïf Salt and Pepper Shakers $2


Wedgwood vase $6


Villeroy and Boch Naïf Christmas Plate $45


Vintage Italian acrylic tumblers $6ea


Transferware pink and white China platter $30


Royal Doulton Balloon Seller $25

So earlier this year some of you may know that my home was robbed. I am grateful that the burglar did not trash my house or smash my China displays (which could have been very satisfying if you were that way inclined). Instead he (and yes it could have been a she, but I just don’t think so and neither did the cops) spent several hours meticulously going through the cupboards and drawers in my room, opening every box and container until he had found virtually every piece of jewellery I owned. It was as if a magic wand had been waved, because everything was gone. 

Now I’ve never had a lot of money and I would have said I wasn’t even a huge jewellery wearer. But I guess from a life time of opshopping and general bowerbird like collecting tendencies, I had a lot of stuff! Brooches were a weakness. Many were one offs, hand made, vintage and antique. Quirky. Some cost a few dollars. Others cost a lot more. Same with necklaces, bracelets and rings. I’d only got my ears pierced a few years ago (!!) so that collection was relatively smaller but it is amazing how much you pick up along the way… 

I did have some amazing Wedgwood necklaces and rings that my husband had bought in London years ago. Pretty much irreplaceable. My engagement ring was also a casualty. I’d stopped wearing it quite a few years ago when my fingers had swelled during pregnancy. A locket with my first son’s baby photo. A family tree necklace with the kids names on it. The pendant I wore for my engagement. A bracelet with my wedding anniversary date… 

Matthew 6:19-21 has been big in our minds as we’ve come to terms with losing some things that meant a lot to us. It’s been a bit of a painful life lesson. But also has been heartwarming to hear encouraging words and receive caring actions by family and friends who have reached out since. Many sharing stories of similar horrible events in their lives too.

Anyway I thought I’d put up a few historic photos of just some of the treasures now gone. It’s good to know that life isn’t ultimately about the treasures stored up on earth. They come and they go! The Lords love endures forever. 
















Comments

Popular Posts